LISBON, Portugal, April 14 (NNN-AGENCIES) – Portugal expressed willingness to host up to 10 of the 64 migrants stranded in the Mediterranean Sea, the Portuguese Ministry of Internal Administration said, on Saturday.
In a statement, the ministry said, it had already conveyed the intention to the government of Malta, following the cooperation agreement reached between Portugal, Germany, France and Luxembourg, with the coordination of the European Commission.
Portugal is “taking on its commitment to solidarity and European cooperation, in the field of migration, by actively participating in all reception processes,” said the statement.
The Portuguese government “continues to defend an integrated, stable and permanent European solution, to meet the migratory challenge,” the statement said.
European Commissioner for Migration, Home Affairs and Citizenship, Dimitris Avramopulos, welcomed the agreement reached by Portugal, Germany, France and Luxembourg to host the 64 migrants.
The ship of the German aid organisation, Sea-Eye, had been “stuck” for several days in the Mediterranean, with no port to dock, after both Italy and Malta refused to allow the entry of the 64 migrants — 50 men, 12 women and two children.– NNN-AGENCIES