UK wins court ruling to keep asylum seekers in hotel but risks angry response

Reuters Police officers stand talking with protesters outside The Bell Hotel in Epping. Some of the protesters are holding England and Union Jack flags. There is a police van in front of the hotel building, which is fenced-off.

LONDON, Aug 30 (NNN-AGENCIES) — Three men were arrested during a protest outside The Bell Hotel in Epping on Friday, after the Court of Appeal overturned a temporary injunction that blocked asylum seekers from being housed there.

Essex Police said the men were arrested on suspicion of different offences – one for violent disorder, one for assaulting a police officer, and another for drink driving. Two police officers were injured, though not seriously.

Assistant Chief Constable Glen Pavelin said that while most protesters had participated safely, “the right to protest does not include a right to commit crime”.

The court judgement means that 138 asylum seekers staying at the hotel will not be forced to leave by Sept 12.

Explaining the Court of Appeal decision, Lord Justice Bean said the initial injunction – issued by the High Court – was “seriously flawed in principle”.

Epping Forest District Council, which obtained the injunction, says it will not rule out taking its case against the use of The Bell Hotel to the Supreme Court.

In a statement, Essex Police said they had also enforced a dispersal order for the area around The Bell Hotel until Saturday morning.

ACC Pavelin added: “My continued plea to those people who want their voices to be heard is to please do that safely and peacefully.”

Epping has hit the headlines since protests began in July outside the hotel.

Tension mounted after an asylum seeker living there was arrested and subsequently charged with several offences including sexual assault on a 14-year-old girl.

Police say 28 arrests have been made to date in connection with disorder outside the hotel.

Protesters gathered outside the hotel again on Friday evening with banners and union jack and England flags.

Conservative-run Epping Forest District Council won the temporary injunction against the hotel in the High Court earlier this month, which ruled asylum seekers could not stay there.

It is that injunction that has been overturned at appeal court, meaning migrants can stay.

Holly Whitbread, Conservative councillor for Epping West, said Friday’s news was “deeply disappointing and will feel like a betrayal for many”.

Some others voiced their disappointment over the new ruling.

A full High Court hearing to decide on a permanent injunction for The Bell is expected in mid-October.

Following Friday’s judgement, the government has underlined it wants to close asylum hotels in an “orderly way”, while saying it is working to relieve pressure on the system. — NNN-AGENCIES

administrator

Related Articles