ADEN, Mar 30 (NNN-SABA) – Hundreds of people were forced to leave their homes, as the fighting between the Yemeni government and the Houthi militia continues to escalate, in the country’s oil-rich province of Marib, a military official said, yesterday.
Key areas in Marib have been engulfed in armed confrontations over the past few days, leading to a large number of casualties on both sides, the local military official said.
He said, the situation becomes increasingly dire for civilians caught in the crossfire in Marib’s district of Harib, as many are forced to leave their homes and belongings behind in search of safer places.
“The ongoing battles prompted a mass exodus of people from several villages in Marib and Shabwa provinces, causing overcrowding in temporary shelters and refugee camps with limited resources,” said the official.
From Mar 19 to 25, approximately 235 families, comprising 1,410 individuals, were forced to leave their homes in Marib, Hodeidah, and Taiz, according to a statement issued by the International Migration Organisation (IOM) on Tuesday.
The total number of families that had been transferred to various provinces in Yemen, since Jan, was 2,030, consisting of 12,180 individuals, according to the IOM.
The recent Houthi attacks against government troops in Marib and other regions, have shattered hopes for a lasting peace pact. The UN-brokered truce, which lasted from Apr to Oct last year, provided a momentary respite in the war-torn country.– NNN-SABA