ADEN, Feb 24 (NNN-SABA) – The Saudi Arabia-led coalition, continued yesterday, to launch intensified airstrikes on Houthi fighters, attacking Yemen’s oil-rich province of Marib, a military official, said.
According to the local official who, a series of sustained air raids were carried out by the coalition’s warplanes and struck Houthi-held areas in different parts of Marib, during the past 24 hours.
He said, “The intensification of airstrikes largely helped the local anti-Houthi tribal fighters on-ground and encouraged them to counter the Houthi offensive on their province.”
The Yemeni official confirmed that, the surge of Houthi militias appeared to have been partially halted, as Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) intensified air campaign, helped to curb the rebels’ advancement towards Marib.
A local tribal chief said, “With the non-stop hovering of fighter jets overhead, the Houthi fighters were impeded and they are concentrating on covering themselves and avoiding being targeted.”
During the past few days, the intensity of fighting enabled the Houthi rebels to capture key areas from pro-government forces based in Marib.
“The Houthi attack killed a number of pro-government army commanders and pushed some high-ranking military leaders to flee Marib, seeking safe locations in neighbouring southern and eastern provinces,” the tribal source said.
Fighting erupted in early Feb, as the Houthis tried to advance towards the strategic oil-rich province of Marib. Dozens were either killed or injured from both warring sides, in the non-stop armed confrontations amid heavy airstrikes carried out by the Saudi Arabia-led coalition.
Escalation of fighting between the Yemeni government and the Houthi militia displaced nearly 1,500 families from western Marib, so far.– NNN-SABA