Stranded passengers at KLIA did not have exit approval, says Immigration Dept

KUALA LUMPUR, Sept 14  (NNN-BERNAMA) — The incident of Malaysian passengers who were not allowed to board their flights at Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) on Sept 14 was because they did not submit applications to go abroad with the Immigration Department.

 Immigration director-general Datuk Khairul Dzaimee Daud said there were records of their entry into Malaysia during the Movement Control Order (MCO) period.

 He said the department had announced in its latest guidelines on Sept 12 that Malaysian citizens who entered the country during MCO are required to obtain approval from the department if they want to leave the country again.

He added those who were stopped involved Malaysians holding permanent resident (PR) passes or those who are working abroad.

“Some had just returned a month ago and left the country again for work purposes. Therefore, the Immigration Department imposes the requirement to obtain approval to avoid Malaysians who work or reside overseas from entering and exiting the country repeatedly,” he told Bernama.

Previously, Bernama reported the Malaysian Immigration Department has outlined the latest guidelines for Malaysians who wish to exit and enter the country until the end of the Recovery Movement Control Order (RMCO).

The media reported yesterday that Malaysians were stranded at KLIA because they were not allowed to fly out despite claiming they belonged to a group allowed to go abroad without seeking prior approval based on the latest guidelines.

The latest guidelines for entering and exiting Malaysia was announced on Saturday, Sept 12 and many who had entered the country during the MCO and travelling out on Sunday, Sept 13, were caught unaware of the condition to get approval from the Immigration Department before travelling out again.

— NNN-BERNAMA