ULAN BATOR, June 30 (NNN-MONGOLIAWEB) – A suspected case of bubonic plague was reported in western Mongolia, local media reported, citing the country’s National Centre for Zoonotic Diseases (NCZD).
“A 27-year-old resident of Tsetseg soum in Khovd province, was taken to a hospital on Sunday, after eating marmot (a species of rodent) meat. Preliminary test results revealed that, he was diagnosed with the bubonic plague,” the NCZD said in a statement, adding that, the official result of the test will be released this evening.
The man is in critical condition, the NCZD added, urging citizens not to eat marmot meat.
A couple died of bubonic plague in the western Mongolian province of Bayan-Ulgii in Apr, 2019, after eating raw marmot meat.
The bubonic plague is a bacterial disease that is spread by fleas, living on wild rodents, such as marmots. The disease can kill an adult in less than 24 hours, if not treated in time, according to the World Health Organisation.– NNN-MONGOLIAWEB