SEREMBAN, Malaysia, Jan 15 (NNN-BERNAMA) — Two French lawmakers have requested reopening the investigation into the death of Franco-Irish teenager Nora Anne Quoirin following her disappearance from an eco-resort near here in August last year.
The French deputies (MPs), Anne Genetet and Alexandre Holroyd, asked the Malaysian authorities to alternatively make available the police report on the investigation that took place.
In a letter released through the Lucie Blackman Trust, a British charity supporting its nationals during crises overseas, they wanted the Malaysian authorities to take the “necessary steps in order to shed full light” on the death of the 15-year-old girl.
“Every effort must absolutely be made on the part of the Malaysian authorities to provide full transparency concerning the death of Nora Quoirin,” they said.
The Lucie Blackman Trust was also reported to have been handed over with the remaining funds raised by Nora’s family through two online funds, namely the go fund me for Finding Nora, set up by her aunt on August 5, a day after she was reported missing.
The fund, subsequently raised £105,449 while another go fund me set up by Nora’s uncle in France raised £19,880. The funds were meant to help relatives travel to Malaysia to help with the search efforts for Nora.
Nora Anne went missing on Aug 4, a day after her family had arrived in Malaysia for a two-week holiday and checked in at the Dusun Pantai Hill Resort.
Her body was found on Aug 13 near a stream in a hilly area, about 2.5 km from the rainforest resort, following a massive search.
An initial post-mortem report stated that there was no criminal element in the death of Nora Anne who reportedly had learning disability. It was established that she died due to gastrointestinal bleeding from hunger and stress over a prolonged period.
On Jan 8, Bukit Aman Criminal Investigation Department director Huzir Mohamed said the Attorney-General’s Chambers had classified the case as NFA (no further action).
On Jan 4, the parents of Nora had filed a suit through the family’s lawyer Sankara Nair against the resort owner, claiming special damages in the sum of RM152,707.90, general damages assessed by the court, RM30,000 damages for bereavement, among others.