TEHRAN, Nov 9 (NNN-IRNA) – The air defence forces of Iran’s army, targeted an “unknown” drone near the port city of Mahshahr, on Friday.
Gholamreza Shariati, the governor of Iran’s southwestern Khuzestan province, said, the targeted drone “definitely” belonged to a foreign country.
The wreckage of the drone had been recovered and investigations are underway to identify its origin, Shariati said, adding that, the people will be informed of the result, as soon as its available.
“The Khuzestan air defence system is monitoring movements and enemies’ threats,” he noted.
Mahshahr is located in the oil-rich Khuzestan province and accommodates Iran’s largest petrochemical complex.
Besides, Alireza Sabahi Fard, commander of Iranian army’s air defence force brigade, said that, “Iran’s decisive move to bring down the intruding foreign drone was a reaction to violations of the country’s airspace,” according to Press TV.
Sabahi Fard did not specify the “intruding country,” but said that Iran is fully prepared to give a firm response to any violation of its airspace.
In the meantime, the Pentagon denied reports of a U.S. drone shot down in Mahshahr as “incorrect.”
In June, Iran’s Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) shot down a U.S. surveillance drone, which it said “had violated the country’s airspace.”– NNN-IRNA