KOTA KINABALU, Aug 11 (NNN-Bernama) — One of the two fishermen from Brunei whose boat drifted into Malaysian waters and rescued at Pulau Tiga yesterday, died at Queen Elizabeth II Hospital, this morning.
Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency (MMEA) director for Sabah Rear Admiral Kamaruszaman Abu Hassan, however, said the identity of the victim had yet to be ascertained.
He said the other victim, known as Sakur Ahing Juplin, 39, from the Philippines is receiving treatment at the same hospital.
“According to Sakur Ahing, the incident happened when water entered their boat after being hit by strong waves before it capsized. Four crew went down with the boat, while seven others jumped into the sea to save themselves.
“So far, five crew members were found drowned,” he said in a statement here tonight.
Meanwhile, the Brunei National Search and Rescue Coordination Committee has called off the search and rescue operations until a fresh was found.
Those who are still missing were Glori Dwi Santoso, 24; Rusli Yusanto, 38; Agus Hariyanto, 39; and Idris, 43, from Indonesian, as well as Nor Jehad Makakena Abdullah, 27; Naseer Ketugi Abdullah 39; Mujib Intimani Alli, 43; Sarri Ahing Ibno,50; Anthony Tomales Dionaldo, 51; and Cesar Masalihit LLung, 54, from the Philippines.