RAMALLAH, Palestine, July 12 (NNN-WAFA) – The Palestinian Authority reaffirmed that, contacts with the United States can be resumed, on condition Washington shows commitment to the Middle East peace process.
This position was a Palestinian response to the remarks by U.S. officials on achieving peace with Israel.
Nabil Abu Rdeineh, spokesman for the Palestinian presidency, said that, the Palestinians have never rejected any negotiations or initiatives for Palestinian-Israeli peace.
“Peace can only be established in accordance with the two-state solution on the 1967 borders, the international resolutions and the Arab Peace Initiative, which considers East Jerusalem an occupied territory,” the spokesman said.
The Palestine Liberation Organisation is ready to resume contacts with the U.S. government, only if it shows commitment to all these conditions, he noted.
The Palestinian Authority severed political ties with the United States after President Donald Trump recognised, in late 2017, Jerusalem as the capital of Israel and moved the U.S. embassy to the city in May last year.
The last round of peace talks between Israelis and Palestinians broke down in 2014, without achieving any tangible progress.– NNN-WAFA