ADEN, Jan 28 (NNN-YPA) – At least eight people were killed yesterday, in an attack launched by Houthi fighters, on military sites of the Yemeni government forces, in the southern province of Lahj, a local military official said.
“A group of Houthi fighters carried out an attack and attempted to advance militarily on the ground, in order to capture key sites controlled by the government forces, in the northern part of Lahj Province,” the official said.
The Houthi attack sparked intense fighting, leaving at least five rebels and three government soldiers killed, he said, adding, the rebel fighters were forced to retreat following hours of intense fighting.
Following the attack, large Houthi reinforcements were dispatched from the neighbouring province of Taiz, to key areas located near Lahj that houses a number of military bases of the Yemeni government forces, according to the official.
Earlier this month, local officials said, Yemen’s warring parties were gearing up for new waves of conflict in 2023, amid a lack of decisive steps towards sustainable peace.
Various regions in Yemen witnessed sporadic armed confrontations between the local warring factions, after a cease-fire, brokered by the United Nations in Apr, expired in Oct last year.– NNN-YPA