Many dead, one Malaysian confirmed injured in Christchurch shooting

By Nur Ashikin Abdul Aziz

KUALA LUMPUR, March 15 (NNN-BERNAMA) — There were multiple fatalities and a Malaysian was among those injured in the Friday shooting incidents at two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand. 

According to the official Twitter account of the High Commission of Malaysia in Wellington, the shootings took place in several locations in the city including the Al Noor and Linwood mosques.

“As reported, there was a shooting incident in Christchurch mosque at 1.40 pm (8.40 am Malaysian time) today. The High Commission is in close contact with the local authorities to get further details on the victims. So far, one Malaysian is confirmed injured and currently receiving treatment at the hospital,” the tweet said.

A tweet by Foreign Minister Datuk Saifuddin Abdullah said the Malaysian victim is in stable condition and the wife of the victim has been contacted.

Details of the victim are yet to be released at press time. 

Meanwhile, the High Commission also asked affected Malaysians in the incident or in need of assistance to contact them at +64210440188 or mwwellington@kln.gov.my.

According to reports, police in New Zealand has confirmed multiple fatalities after shootings at two mosques in the city of Christchurch.

— NNN-BERNAMA