SOUTH AFRICAN F.A. DECIDES NOT TO CHALLENGE FIFA DECISION FOR REPLAY OF WORLD CUP QUALIFIER VS SENEGAL
Last Updated: 2017-09-13
Decrease Font Size Increase Font Size

JOHANNESBURG, Sept 13 (NNN-SABC) -- The South African Football Association (SAFA) has decided not to contest a decision by world football;'s governing body, FIFA, for Bafana Bafana to replay the 2018 Soccer World Cup qualifier against Senegal, which South Africa had won 2-1.

SAFA President Danny Jordaan said Tuesday that the federation's position was clear on the issue of match-fixing and manipulation and they could not benefit from such and take the points. He added that it was a moral and ethical issue.

South Africa played the match against Senegal in Polokwane in Limpopo Province in November last year. FIFA later found match referee, Joseph Lamptey of Ghana, guilty of unlawfully manipulating results. Laptey gave a penalty for a non-existent handball against Senegal in that match.

Last week, SAFA said it wanted to challenge the decision by FIFA, which was taken following confirmation of the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) to uphold the lifetime ban on match referee Lamptey for match manipulation.

According to the letter from FIFA, the match will be replayed within the November 2017 international window, with the exact date to be confirmed in due course. -- NNN-SABC